Monday, January 17, 2011

New York, New York

I apologize for the long lapse since my last post, but it has been a crazed, life-altering few weeks. 


A week before Christmas, hubby's boss told him that the company would subsidize an apartment for a year while we wait for the house to sell. But, if we were going to take advantage of the offer, we had to do it immediately.  Fortunately I was in the city, so I immediately hit the internet to get a feel for what was out there. It took about 15 minutes to realize we couldn't afford to live in Manhattan. So on a blustery, freezing cold day, I subway'd it over to Brooklyn, looked at as many apartments as I could find and, of course, found the perfect one! It is in a new building with great amenities. Garage parking for hubby, washer & dryer in the unit for me, great gym for both of us (we just have to USE it...). We plopped down a holding fee, application fees, first month's rent and security deposit, then headed home to celebrate Christmas and organize a move.


The challenge of pulling this together - besides moving in two weeks with Christmas week being the first of the two - was keeping to as strict a budget as possible without taking much stuff from our NH house as it is still on the market and, if it doesn't sell, I'll go back for the summer. So, we took furniture from the finished basement, one rug from the living room and I went through the kitchen grabbing everything that I had two of (an embarrassing number of things, as it turned out). We combed the attic looking for stuff, but with two kids who'd done the same thing a few years ago, it was slim pickin's... 


On January 7th, I picked up a UHaul truck, and that night with the help of some good friends (did I forget to mention that hubby was away on business the first week of January and didn't get home until 6 pm the night before we moved?), loaded it and our car with a couch and love seat, one chair, a rug and lots of boxes. At 6 a.m. the next morning, with Zoe cozy and snug between boxes in the back seat of the car, our little caravan pulled out of the driveway, headed for our latest Great Adventure!


We are settling in beautifully. The kids were here to help us unload and unpack and have been over for dinner since. We did an insane Ikea run the day after we moved in and spent every evening last week putting furniture together. Zoe loves her long morning walks and play-time in the local dog park, and once the weather warms up a bit, I'm sure I will too!! She has been amazingly mellow throughout this entire experience and is quickly learning leash and elevator etiquette. I love our bright and sunny apartment. It's small and comfortable and I can clean it in about ten minutes! And when I want to go somewhere, the subway is mere steps from my door.


I promise to get back to the saga of the book this week, but had to share our news first. Pretty cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment